I am always excited to learn about Marian apparitions. To me, they are proof that our Queen of Heaven exists and that she really does care for us. For the Doubting Thomas in me (and in many), it really does help to make my faith a more concrete and solid one. Mary often uses these appearances to comfort, but also to give warnings and to encourage repentance.
The first Marian apparition I want to cover is also one of the most recent. Although it has bishop approval, it is not yet Vatican approved.
San Nicolás is located in the Buenos Aires province of Argentina. The apparitions began in the 80s and are still continuing today, numbering thousands of separate apparitions. It is unusual to approve apparitions where the visionary is still alive, but in this case, they decided to go ahead; giving Jesus and Mary an unprecedented channel to all believers.
Gladys Quiroga de Motta
The person who received the apparitions is a lady by the name of Gladys Quiroga de Motta. After rosaries in some of the local homes started glowing without explanation, she decided to take the hint and pray the rosary. Mary appeared to her on Sept. 25, wearing a blue gown and veil and carrying the infant Jesus.
Gladys is not a remarkable woman in other ways. She is a wife, mother and grandmother with little education (could hardly read or write) or knowledge of theology or the Bible. Yet, her simple devotion to Mary appealed to the Virgin who continued to visit.
Gifts received by Gladys
- Bible verses.
- A special white rosary from the Blessed Virgin.
- location of a missing blessed statue (Gladys found it on Nov 27, 1983 in the belfry of the cathedral.)
- 68 visits and messages from Jesus.
- 1800+ messages from Mary in 7 years from 1983 to 1990, many more have been reported since then.
- Stigmata on her wrists, feet, side and shoulder.
While some recipients of Marian apparitions remained quiet for many years, Gladys immediately shared what she had experienced with church authorities. For that, we may be glad, so that all may share in her joy. Nonetheless, Gladys remains a devoted lady of low profile.
A few of the messages from Our Lady (See this site for more of them.)
- A call for peace, repentance, returning to the sacraments and drawing people closer to Christ.
- Predictions of great turmoil for humanity ahead
- “Many hearts do not accept my invitation to prayer and to conversion. That is why the work of the devil is growing and expanding.”
- Mary warns that mankind is “in the process of falling into a progressive self-destruction”
- Mary says that it is: “up to you to set your eyes and your heart on God.”
- Mary wants to: “cure my children from this illness which is materialism; an illness which makes many suffer. I want to help them discover Christ, and I want to make it known to them that Christ prevails over everything,”
- “Every time Jesus Christ is offended, it feels that my heart is struck repeatedly”.
- “Eucharistic Jesus is alive and true body. Adore and love Him. My children, it is in the Eucharist where you can feel how He gives Himself to you. It is in the Eucharist where He returns to be body and blood, and it is from the Eucharist that he wants to save the souls prepared to receive Him.”
- Mary reminds us of the importance of Prayer, especially the rosary.
A few of the messages from Jesus (See this site for more of them.)
- “I am the farmer, the harvest will be great”
- Jesus said: “If this generation will not listen to my mother, it will perish. I ask everyone to listen to her. Man’s conversion is necessary.”
- He said: “Today I warn the world, for the world is not aware: souls are in danger. Many are lost.”
- “Few will find salvation unless they accept me as their Savior.”
- Jesus said: “My mother must be accepted. My mother must be heard in the totality of her messages. The world must discover the richness she brings to Christians.”
- “The children of sin will grow up in sin if their unbelief increases. I want a renewal of the spirit, a detachment from death, and an attachment to life.”
- “I have chosen the heart of my mother, so that what I ask will be achieved. Souls will come to me through the means of her Immaculate Heart.”
The Virgin instructed Gladys to have a medal struck with the invocation of Mary of the Rosary of San Nicolas, and in the reverse the Most Holy Trinity with seven stars. “My daughter, the meaning of seven stars is seven graces that my Son Jesus Christ will grant to whoever has it on its chest. Praised be the Lord.” This medal (along with holy water) appears to be available from the official shrine website.
Reactions to the apparitions
- Bishop Domingo Salvador Castagna had a shrine built which was consecrated in 1990. (The location was chosen by the Virgin herself who also rejected the first design proposed, but was happy with another… which was then built.)
- Massive pilgrimage to the shrine every May 22.
- 200,000 pilgrims celebrated Mass near the Sanctuary of Mary of the Rosary of San Nicolás for the 25th Anniversary of the appearances.
Miracles attributed to Our Lady of the Rosary of San Nicolás
I’ve seen it said that there were numerous miracles attributed to this apparition/shrine, but so far, I’ve only seen one really talked about.
As reported on Our Lady’s Rosary Makers of Australia, Inc.
On Thursday October 25, 1984, seven-year-old Gonzalo Miguel, who lived at Pergamino, some 70 km from San Nicolás, was diagnosed with a brain tumour. His mother, Maria del Valle placed herself and her son in Mary’s hands. It appeared that there was no hope, as either with or without an operation, the prospects of his living seemed fairly remote.
The mother was in the seventh month of pregnancy with her seventh child, and great anxiety overtook her. Then, surprisingly, the anxiety disappeared, and a great calm enveloped her.
On Monday October 29, the child’s condition worsened and he was completely paralysed down his right side. Death appeared imminent, and his parents requested that he be given the Last Rites, and First Holy Communion.
Father Ariel David Busso, a friend of the family, came on October 30th, and explained to Gonzalo that he was going to receive Jesus. He placed him under the protection of “Our Lady of the Rosary of San Nicolas”
After receiving Holy Communion he began to improve rapidly. On November 1, 1984, a further examination revealed that the tumour had decreased in size by 70%.
Each day from then he improved, and by November 9 he was fit to leave hospital and return home.
He who had virtually been given up as an impossible case, was inexplicably cured.
http://www.virgen-de-san-nicolas.org/index.html (official site of the apparition – in Spanish – I *think* you can get the medal here as well as holy water from the shrine which has been reported to perform healing miracles)
http://www.english.santisimavirgen.com.ar/historia_de_maria_del_rosario_eng.htm (Many of Jesus and Mary’s messages are included on this page.)